Danish Eiderdown
Danish Eiderdown
Danish Eiderdown
Kalaurgan House is situated in the beautiful historic rural township of Moss Vale in the heart of the Southern Highlands.
Built c.1848, Kalaurgan House is one of the first houses to have been built in the Southern Highlands.



The original two-storey triple brick residence was reportedly built by the Anglican rector of Berrima Rev Hyatt Wyatt, and was situated on a grant of 669 acres given to Convict John Wait (on recommendation from Dr Charles Throsby) in 1837. At the time Wait's property was named "Broulee" or "Browley Farm". 

In 1862 the property was leased to The Sisters of the Order of St Joseph and was reputedly used as a boarding school from this time.

In 1869 the rural property was subdivided and "Kalaurgan House" was jointly acquired by landholder and developer Mr Walter Morrice and Mr Robert Pemberton Richardson, co-founder of Real Estate Firm Richardson and Wrench.


In the 1880's Kalaurgan House continued to be used as a school house and famously was home to Saint Mary Mackillop during her trips to Moss Vale when she stayed with the Sisters at "Kalaurgan House" during her visits to the school.


The property's name was changed to "Malborough" around 1966 but was re-instated as "Kalaurgan House" in 1988.


Over the years the house has been meticulously restored and sympathetically extended, maintaining all the charm and elegance of a bye-gone era, with beautiful period features such as pressed metal ceilings, multiple fireplaces, picture rails and 12ft ceilings.


Today the property is proudly owned by Robert and Gillian McKenna who feel honoured to be adding their own chapter to Kalaurgan's history.

HomeStaying at KalaurganThings to DoContact & DirectionsHistoryNewsGallery
 
Another web site powered by the Complete Web system.
Complete Web - Grow your business now!